Wednesday, October 22, 2014

New startup?

Considering that I'm someone with so many ideas, but always get cold feet when it comes to execution, I'm always on the lookout for success stories and facts about growing businesses.

This time, Evan Carmichael wrote an article worth sharing, about not needing a lot of money to grow your business.
He specifically tackled the cost of a logo, and even though I'm a designer myself, he dazzled me with some facts that I never knew existed!

In his words:

You might look at big companies like Pepsi, BBC, and BP spending millions of dollars to get their logos designed and think, how can I compete?
You don’t need to have deep pockets to create a meaningful logo.
Here are a few examples:
Google: $0.






Google founder Sergey Brin designed it himself. It has been through a few changes over the years but the original concept remains the same.

Coca-Cola: $0.










The original logo was designed by the company’s bookkeeper, Frank Mason Robinson, in 1885. It’s now one of the most recognized logos in the world.

Nike: $35.














Created by University of Oregon student Carolyn Davidson in 1971. Nike founder Phil Knight was teaching accounting and noticed Davidson’s work on an assignment so he hired her. 

Twitter: $15.















Twitter’s original logo was purchased from iStockPhoto, a crowdsourcing design website. Their ‘fail whale’ graphic was also purchased through iStockPhoto.

It's never about how many resources you have. It's about how resourceful you are.


So… will you still blame it on the money, now that you have these examples?
I know I for one am speechless!

No comments:

Post a Comment